Webport Junction Frorum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Experiences in Borderlands I.

Go down

Experiences in Borderlands I. Empty Experiences in Borderlands I.

Post  AKMARK5000 Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:17 pm

Experiences in Borderlands I.

MATURE CONTENT, CONCEPTS AND LANGUAGE!
Most video games involve offensive material to some degree.  Welcome to the new modern age!
Don't like it?  
Then don't complain about it... don't read or view my reviews.  
No one is forcing you to buy and play video games.

"Experiences in" is a series of short impressionistic reviews designed to deliver quick notes and comments about different games with the budget or frugal gamer in mind.  Borderlands II is such a robust game, but I'll keep it short so that you can quickly decide to buy it or skip it.

The Borderland Game Series began with Borderlands-1.  Despite this cartoony style of the game's environments and characters, the gameplay falls into the FPS genre of games with a robust loot system of RPG games.
Image Click STEAM Product Page

Image Click STEAM Product Page

Price: On sale at STEAM, $10 bought the base game bundled with all four DLCs (expansions, add-ons).  

Storyline: The Borderlands-1 I storyline is entertaining, fun and intriguing without all the pop-culture, social gender, and political nonsense that seems to have infiltrated later games in the series.

Game Mechanics: If you've played modern first person shooters you'll find Borderlands-1 handles well. The controls have a nominal learning curve, and the keyboard keys can be modified or remapped.  The focus, though, is the loot system, statistics, guns and upgrading your weapons. 

Weapons and Equipment: Borderlands-1 is about guns and loot.  Prepare for an information overload experience here. There are loads and loads of them.  You even have special abilities to choose such as super speed or fighting ability.  Guns and ammo both get picked up off dead enemies, bought via vending machines and found in loot boxes scattered throughout the game.

Graphics: The graphics have a cartoony look... like a comic book style.  But that can be changed.  I'll cover the details in a separate post.  Overall, they are well done with a minimal impact on your computer's hardware.  

Game Modes: The ideal feature of this game is the 4-Player Cooperative (COOP) mode.  Unlike many FPS games out in the marketplace, Borderlands-1 is best played with a few friends.  Just like other games in the series, battling the computer generated enemy AI provides the best gaming experience around.  

Requirements: Even the recommended requirements are kind of low in my opinion.

Processor: 2.4 Ghz or equivalent processor with SSE2 support 
Memory: 1GB System RAM (2GB recommended with Vista) 
Graphics: 256mb video ram or better (GeForce 7 series or higher/Radeon HD3000 series or higher) 
Hard Drive: 8 GB or more free space 
Sound: Windows compatible sound card

Last edited by AKMARK5000 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:51 am; edited 7 times in total (Reason for editing : Updated Info.)
AKMARK5000
AKMARK5000

http://webportjunction.xtreemhost.com/

Back to top Go down

Experiences in Borderlands I. Empty Re: Experiences in Borderlands I.

Post  AKMARK5000 Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:08 pm

Let's Modify It !!

I was in no way impressed with the outlandish cartoon style of Borderlands-1.  So, why did I purchased the game in the first place? Maybe it's because I enjoyed Borderland-2 last year. Regardless, I did some online research and modified BL-1 to a graphical style that suited me.

Example Original Vanilla Version:
Experiences in Borderlands I. Q1zEzVm

Example Modified Version:
Experiences in Borderlands I. VXfP1g2

Manual SweetFX Modification ==> http://ul.to/l6acxf6p

I've written about SweetFX in previous articles and have applied it to many games.  The above download was made for Borderlands-2, but will also work for Borderlands-1.  Installation is easy, just extract the download into the BL-1 game folder (where the .exe file is).

Borderlands Config. Editor:

Critical; do not use the configuration tool until you have started the Borderlands and use the in-game options to adjust monitor resolution and anything else you'd like.  Also, set up your character, and play until reaching character level 1. Otherwise, the configuration tool might not work correctly and you will miss out on seeing the introduction videos and the original settings of the game such as the cartoonish border outlines or the FOV value.

Many of the below options in the configuration tool are merely manual modifications.  But researching and correctly applying them can be taxing. Many can easily be made with this tool.  The below screenshot shows the available options and the settings that I use.  Unless you want to spend time experimenting with manual modifications and experimenting, I recommend staying away from the "Bindings Settings" section of the tool. In other words, stick to the "Common Settings" section and the "Graphic Settings" section.

Borderlands Configuration Tool (Config Editor 2.1.4) ==> http://ul.to/jov5ndqv

Experiences in Borderlands I. Mju7Bjm

Last edited by AKMARK5000 on Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:59 am; edited 22 times in total (Reason for editing : Updated Info.)
AKMARK5000
AKMARK5000

http://webportjunction.xtreemhost.com/

Back to top Go down