Webport Junction Frorum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Experiences in Dead Island

Go down

Experiences in Dead Island Empty Experiences in Dead Island

Post  AKMARK5000 Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:37 am

This comes one year late... Why did I wait do long?  I thought this was just another zombie survival game that I would have little interest in.  Also, when Death Island first released, the price was a bit too high for my taste so I skipped it.  There were other games, life, and more games and I just forgot about Death Island.

One year later, I bought Dead Island for $7 STEAM sale.  Wow, am I sorry that I waited so long (not about the price).  Besides the price, the silver lining is that one year later there is an abundance of tried and true information and mods for the game.

Here are a couple reviews/game play videos that should provide a solid overview of Dead Island:

I decided to modify Dead Island before I even played it for more than fifteen minutes.  Not because the game was bad or anything, but because I saw a mod that would mimic the original slow-moving and creepy zombies of George Romero.  I also saw a weapon enhancement type mod and just could not resist.  So, here is what I did:

Skip Intro Logos & Videos:

The intro logos and videos might be enjoyable to watch, but get annoying after once or twice.  Here’s how to automatically skip them:

1. In your STEAM Game Library, find the game, right click it and click Properties
2. Click the "Set launch options..." button
3. Type in [ –nologos ] and click OK
4. Click Close

Experiences in Dead Island 062720131_zps75ff3ac8

Experiences in Dead Island 062720132_zpsab4cbfd9

Temporarily Disable STEAM VAC Security:

Start Dead Island and get to the main menu.  In the Options click Online and choose VAC Secure… turn the VAC off.  Get back to the main menu.  Click Play and start a new game with a any character (even if you already have a previous game/character) and actually play online/coop a bit… at least reach the point of going down (all the way down) the hotel elevator and hear the guy’s voice from the elevator camera and then exit the elevator.

Experiences in Dead Island 062720133_zps6592899b

Be aware that once VAC is off, do not join any servers that you do not know.  If you join a VAC enabled server and have mods installed, you will run the risk of a VAC ban which means that you will no longer be able to join a VAC server (sounds kind of weird, but it does indeed make sense)… I think the ban is for any game not just dead Island, but you’ll still be able to play offline single player mode.

File Backup:

I believe I combined mods that play nice together and accomplish our gun–loving needs, but it’s basically just trial n’ error.  In addition to creating a restore point with the Dead Island Helper program, I also saddest making a backup of the ‘deadisland’ folder, ‘out’ folder and ‘data’ folder [C:\Users\username\Documents\DeadIsland\out\Data]… depending on the mod, you’ll have three different options if/when reverting back to the original state of the game… oh, and label those backups so you know what they are.

I read where it is also a good idea to backup your standard profile/save data located in the ‘out’ folder locate at;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\54359961\91310\remote\out]… the specific data to backup is;

Profiles = C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\\91310\remote\out\profile s\default.pro
Save = C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\\91310\remote\out\save\save_0.sav

** I think the part is your steam id and there is only one.  The 91310 is the steamappid for dead island and the 54359961 is just an example id (yours will different).

Why Backup? Reverting:

One reason to have backups (besides the obvious), is to allow yourself to switch out any modification and revert back to the vanilla version of Dead Island.  Optionally, you may to manually re-enable VAC Security.

With the game reverted to an unmodded state, it is safe to drop in/out public servers without worry of a VAC Ban.

** Note that you could easily do this with the Dead Island Helper Tool (next paragraph).  So, before modding Dead Island, create a restore point.  That date becomes the point at which Dead Island is vanilla or rather unmodded.  Then go ahead a make your modifications.  if you want to revert to the unmodded state the do it via The Dead Island Helper Tool restore point. If you want to modify again then the mod will have to be re-installed.

Install The Dead Island Helper Tool:

This is a configuration tool that automatically tweaks and fixes the game and in no way will invoke VAC.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2114535

Best thing is to extract the downloads exe into the Dead Island directory folder [C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Dead Island].  Right-click the DeadIslandHelper.exe and “run as administrator” (this is so any changes actually take effect)… a little green palm tree icon should appear in the Win7 task bar.

Right click the little green icon and you get a popup menu with various choice… you can even start the game from it.  You can create or load a restore point which is nice.

Experiences in Dead Island 062720135_zps780ca7dd

Experiences in Dead Island 062720134_zpsb5aaf90e

Last edited by AKMARK5000 on Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:52 am; edited 13 times in total (Reason for editing : Update Information)
AKMARK5000
AKMARK5000

http://webportjunction.xtreemhost.com/

Back to top Go down

Experiences in Dead Island Empty M5 UR2 LEGEND SWAPFIX MONEYAMMO MOD

Post  AKMARK5000 Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:53 pm

M5 UR2 LEGEND SWAPFIX MONEYAMMO MOD

Click Download -->
M5 UR2 LEGEND SWAPFIX MONEYAMMO MOD.  Note, its a free download because of the advertisement page initially popping up... wait 5 seconds and click 'skip ad' that will appear in the upper right-hand corner.

Recommended Backup First !!!!!!!:

Make a backup of your 'out' folder located at [C:\Users\username\Documents\DeadIsland\out]. 

Install Instructions:

Extract the contents to [C:\Users\username\Documents\DeadIsland\out\] and make sure to allow replacement when asked.  So, basically, you’re replacing the ’out’ folder with the one inside the archive.

Uninstall Instructions:

Just delete the 'out' folder and replace it with your backup.

This is a combination of three mods:

1. M5 WIP Ubtricom Mod I [STEAM DI Community Mod Pack | http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2140211 ]
  2. M5 WIP Romero Mod I [Georg Remero V5 All In One | http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2128844 ]
  3. M5_STR-Reasonable Mod [Dead Island Spiderman Mod | https://www.youtube.com/STRgtamodder ]
  4. Javiers Mod [Javiers One Stop Gun Shop | http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2158506 ]
  5. Legendshop Mod [Shops Sell Only Legendaries Mod | http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2165260 ]
  6. Fix Swap/Equip Delay Mod [http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2194878 ]
  7. More Money Ammo Mod [DI FPS Mod | http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2118105 ]

Summery Description:

The zombies go down easier with a head-shot/kick/cut, but you can slice off their limbs them or kick them to death.  They move slightly slower and a few types of zombies are not so grabby, but there are a few more of them to contend with and they tend to get behind you during battles.  Player characters can now run very fast and jump about 30 feet in the air taking little damage.  Player characters punch and kick a bit harder too, but that is offset by the increase in zombie numbers and strength.  Player characters now have regenerative health, but, at a snails pace.  Since the health regeneration is very slow, players can still die from jumping off a height that a normal charecter cannot get to in the first place or try to jump down a starcase (although funny).  Too many bites and hits from a zombie can kill also.  So, it would be a really good idea to still look for energy drinks and snacks.  There is a lot more money to loot (off dead zombies especially), but prices for weapons, some supplies, repairs, ect. are still high.  However, guns are available for purchase earlier in the game at the lifeguard rescue station and the lighthouse and ammo capacity is now increased to 999999 (so, if you can buy the ammo... . This mod presents certain atmospheric features of other mods like weather variation, a supposing day/night cycle and infinite flashlight.  There are most likely other minor features that I didn't notice, but you can read the detail of the original mods.

Purposes:

1. This mod took portions of other mods and made one single download/install.  

2. This mod is great for players that are not so good and die a lot or find themselves just trying to keep up with teammates to kill zombies, loot money, level up and collecting inventory items, etc. instead of enjoying the scenery and atmosphere of the game and working with teammates to complete quests.  So, when you feel like it, you can just run around killing zombies, looting money, leveling up and collecting inventory items, etc.

Credits:

Me (Mark5 | AKMARK5000)

Original Mod Authors:

Last edited by AKMARK5000 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:18 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Update Information)
AKMARK5000
AKMARK5000

Back to top Go down

Experiences in Dead Island Empty Re: Experiences in Dead Island

Post  AKMARK5000 Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:38 pm

Digital Easter Eggs in video games are little hidden objects and references the game that can be directly, indirectly related to the presented storyline of the game... or totally unrelated Experiences in Dead Island Icon_wink

AKMARK5000
AKMARK5000

Back to top Go down

Post  AKMARK5000 Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:31 am

Dead Island: Cooperative Mode!

So a chance to play through Dead Island in cooperative mode with familiar and reliable gaming buddies arose once again.  So I had no hang ups about re-installing this three year-old game.  Most everything in the posts above made setting it up again easy because the mods have remained the same with no updates.  Here is a refined and short guide.

Skip Intro Logos & Videos:

The intro logos and videos might be enjoyable to watch, but get annoying after once or twice.  Here’s how to automatically skip them:

1. In your STEAM Game Library, find the game, right click it and click Properties
2. Click the "Set launch options..." button
3. Type in [ –nologos ] and click OK
4. Click Close

Disable STEAM VAC Security and Unlock the COOP Mode:

1. Start Dead Island and get to the main menu.
2. Go to Options and click Online and then choose VAC Secure... set it to OFF. 
3. Get back to the main menu. 
4. Click play and start a new game with a any character (even if you already have a previous played a game with a character).
5. Play through the game's prologue section with online settings enabled... reach the point of going down (all the way down) the hotel elevator and hear the guy’s voice from the elevator camera and then exit the elevator and escape the hotel or rather get "rescued" to a survivor hut.

This all unlocks the ability to play coop and also allows you to safely host and join modded servers.

Experiences in Dead Island 062720133_zps6592899b

File Backup:

In addition to creating a restore point with the Dead Island Helper program, I suggest making a backup,.  Manually backup the Dead Island ‘out’ folder [C:\Users\username\Documents\DeadIsland\out\].  This is for reverting back to the original state of the game.  And label those backups so you know what they are.

I personally never had a problem with my profile or saved games, but you might want to backup your standard profile and save data that is within the ‘out’ folder:

=> C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\54359961\91310\remote\out]

In case you want or need to know, the specific data is:

Profiles = C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\\91310\remote\out\profiles\default.pro
Save = C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\\91310\remote\out\save\save_0.sav

*The part is your steam id and there is only one.  The 91310 is the steamappid for dead island and the 54359961 is just an example id (yours will look different).

** Note that you could easily do this with the Dead Island Helper Tool (next paragraph).  So, before modding Dead Island, create a restore point.  That date becomes the point at which Dead Island is vanilla or rather unmodded.  Then go ahead a make your modifications.  if you want to revert to the unmodded state the do it via The Dead Island Helper Tool restore point.

Install The Dead Island Helper Tool:

This is a configuration tool that automatically tweaks and fixes the game and in no way will invoke VAC.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2114535

Best thing is to extract the downloads exe into the Dead Island directory folder [C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Dead Island].  Right-click the DeadIslandHelper.exe and “run as administrator” (this is so any changes actually take effect)… a little green palm tree icon should appear in the Win7 task bar.

Right click the little green icon and you get a popup menu with various choice… you can even start the game from it.  You can create or load a restore point which is nice.

Experiences in Dead Island 062720135_zps780ca7dd

Experiences in Dead Island 062720134_zpsb5aaf90e

M5 UR2 LEGEND SWAPFIX MONEYAMMO MOD

Click Download -->
M5 UR2 LEGEND SWAPFIX MONEYAMMO MOD.  Note, its a free download because of the advertisement page initially popping up... wait 5 seconds and click 'skip ad' that will appear in the upper right-hand corner.

Install Instructions:

Extract the contents to [C:\Users\username\Documents\DeadIsland\out\] and make sure to allow replacement when asked.  So, basically, you’re replacing the ’out’ folder with the one inside the archive.

Uninstall Instructions:

Just delete the 'out' folder and replace it with your backup.

Summery Description:

Zombies The zombies go down easier with a head-shot/kick/cut, but you can slice off their limbs
    or kick them to death. 

Zombies move slightly slower and a few types of zombies are not so grabby, but there are a few
    more of them to contend with and they tend to get behind you during battles. 

Player Characters can now run very fast and jump about 30 feet in the air taking little damage.

Player Characters punch and kick a bit harder too, but that is offset by the increase in zombie

numbers and strength. 

Player Characters
now have regenerative health, but, at a snails pace.  Since the health
    regeneration  is very slow, players can still die from jumping off a height that a normal character
    cannot get to in the first place or try to jump down a staircase (although funny).  Too many bites
    and hits from a zombie can kill also.  So, it would be a really good idea to still look for energy drinks
    and snacks. 

More Money!  There is a lot more money to loot (off dead zombies especially), but prices for
    weapons, some supplies, repairs, ect. are still high.  However, guns are available for purchase
    earlier in the game at the lifeguard rescue station and the lighthouse and ammo capacity is
    now increased to 999999.

Atmospheric Features! This mod presents certain atmospheric features of other mods like
    weather variation, a supposing day/night cycle and infinite flashlight.  There are most likely other
    minor features that I didn't notice, but you can read the detail of the original mods.

Also added into the game (not because of the mods) are Digital Easter Eggs!  In video games these are little hidden objects and references to another game that can be directly, indirectly related to the presented storyline of the game... or totally unrelated Experiences in Dead Island Icon_wink

Last edited by AKMARK5000 on Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:26 pm; edited 10 times in total (Reason for editing : Information Update)
AKMARK5000
AKMARK5000

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down